Tuesday, February 15, 2011

My lesson learned... FINALLY!!!

This isn't my first post about housework. I'm positive it won't be my last. If you know me at all, you know I really do NOT like housework... AT ALL!!! Somewhere around the time Chris started working 2 jobs, while I only work part-time, I realized I needed to step it up. i.e. Make dinner once in awhile, clean more regularly, just make it easier on him to be in his home. Now don't get me wrong if you walked into my house before this epiphany(sorry for the big word, Kar ;) It didn't look dirty, it's always been organized and rather clean. It was the little stuff, a pile of laundry here, a dirty molding there, the fridge needed scrubbed or the toilet had a ring.. It was most definitely not piles of garbage and such. We have pets, but it didn't smell. It just needed to be cleaner. Know what I'm saying?

Ok so back to my point the last 8 monthsish I've been trying harder to be more pro-active, it may have taken 12 years of marriage but it started making sense. Even in the last month it has really started falling into place. I've started tackling "BIG" jobs. Well today I found mouse shit in the cabinet the little bastards made a nest out of a box of tampons in my bathroom... I was pissed, tampons are expensive!!! So I ran up to the Family Dollar(don't get me started, I LOVE that place) and bought some Lysol Dual-Scrubbing wipes(amazing!!!) and some Lysol spray just to be safe. Well I scrubbed the crap out of that cabinet and but down some poison and found new homes for the stuff that was there. Then I scrubbed the bathroom moldings and door. I thought I was done for the day.

I did Emily's taxes for her. I went and picked up dinner and took it to Chris at the gas station and ate with him. I came home and watched a movie and folded 4 loads of laundry. I decided to go unload the dishwasher and the wipes were sitting on the cupboard... taunting me.. to wipe off the cabinet doors. Now I have been putting this off for a. very. long. time. I don't want to say how long... LONG... I have been actively thinking about scrubbing them for a month. A MONTH!!!! The insides were clean, I just needed to scrub the doors. If I've been thinking about cleaning them for a month they have probably needed it by a normal person's standards for 6 months, by my Mom's a year, and by Karli's a HELL of a lot longer than that!! Well guess what? I scrubbed them. Yep ALL of them. Guess how long it took me? 45 minutes... 45 G.D. minutes!!! And they are as clean as they can possibly be without being repainted.

So that's it MY. LESSON. LEARNED. Just do it already. Hopefully tomorrow I'll scrub the hallway walls, doors, and moldings. MAYBE someday I'll actually enjoy it...

3 comments:

  1. Yessss!!! Cleanliness is awesome!! I promise when you maintain all the nitty gritty scrubbing stuff it eventually cuts down on the time of cleaning.. like now if you will wipe down your cupboards weekly, it'll take 5 min tops!!

    But thats the secret..maintaining. Your home ALREADY was clean but now that you do the extras i.e. scrub down walls, cupboards and moldings it gonna shine!!

    I love you wildly!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So who here thinks that Karli should write a book for "the rest of us" about how to clean your house and keep it sparkly?!! She makes it sound so easy and fun!
    Way to go Jess! Doesn't it feel GREAT!

    ReplyDelete